Pintrest

Saturday, January 14, 2012

If I have to eat one more egg white..........

When I started my journey into the world of fitness, I was literally bombarded with "PROTEIN". Are you getting enough protein, how ya getting that protein, did you drink your protein, eat it in a box with a fox????? GOOD GRIEF!!!! SERIOUSLY!?!?

So I decided to do a little research of my own, since I am not a huge fan of daily ingesting loads of meat and eggs. Now don't get me wrong...and I will say this nice and loud "There is nothing wrong with meat and eggs!" just so we are clear. I strongly advocate buying hormone free, organic and local when you can. I know this is not always economical or possible for us all.....I digress...back to the protein : )



Usually, or at least I did, when asked about protein, meat and eggs came to mind. Then I started to wonder...why all this darn protein??? Is this the sneakery of the farmers of chicken and beef trying to pull one over on me??? Well the truth of the matter is....Protein is very important to the health and maintenance of our bodies..I will explain.

Why we need protein : It is necessary for our bodies to grow and repair muscles and our muscles burn a lot of the fat we are so desperately trying to get rid of. Protein provides structural and mechanical support to our bodies, it helps us keep moving during those hard workouts and help us in our daily range of motions. The proper amount of protein in your diet will help keep your bodily fluids balanced, you don't want that to get out of whack or you may end up with a nasty case of fluid retention other wise known as Edema ( that can make your whole body swell, TERRIBLE!) Protein in our body is busy carrying various nutrients and waste to where they should be. I learned that Hemoglobin is a protein in the red blood cells that carries oxygen and removes carbon dioxide from all the cells in your blood!

WOW !!! So thats why we need all that PROTEIN!!!

My next thought was " So i am DOOMED to have to eat eggs FOREVEEERRRR!!!!"  No, not quiet! (i tend to be a little on the dramatic side) .

Eggs and lean meats are one way to get in your good protien but there are so many other options out there that can fill your health needs....Just take a look.....





 
FOOD AMOUNT
PROTEIN(gm)
PROTEIN(gm/100 cal)
Tempeh
1 cup
41
9.3
Seitan
3 ounces
31
22.1
Soybeans, cooked
1 cup
29
9.6
Lentils, cooked
1 cup
18
7.8
Black beans, cooked
1 cup
15
6.7
Kidney beans, cooked
1 cup
13
6.4
Veggie burger
1 patty
13
13.0
Chickpeas, cooked
1 cup
12
4.2
Veggie baked beans
1 cup
12
5.0
Pinto beans, cooked
1 cup
12
5.7
Black-eyed peas, cooked
1 cup
11
6.2
Tofu, firm
4 ounces
11
11.7
Lima beans, cooked
1 cup
10
5.7
Quinoa, cooked
1 cup
9
3.5
Tofu, regular
4 ounces
9
10.6








Peas, cooked
1 cup
9
6.4
Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), cooked
1/2 cup
8
8.4
Peanut butter
2 Tbsp
8
4.3
Veggie dog
1 link
8
13.3
Spaghetti, cooked
1 cup
8
3.7
Almonds
1/4 cup
8
3.7
Soy milk, commercial, plain
1 cup
7
7.0
Soy yogurt, plain
6 ounces
6
4.0
Bulgur, cooked
1 cup
6
3.7
Sunflower seeds
1/4 cup
6
3.3
Whole wheat bread
2 slices
5
3.9
Cashews
1/4 cup
5
2.7
Almond butter
2 Tbsp
5
2.4
Brown rice, cooked
1 cup
5
2.1
Spinach, cooked
1 cup
5
13.0
Broccoli, cooked
1 cup
4
6.8
Potato
1 med.
(6 oz)
4
2.7
Sources: USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 18, 2005 and manufacturers' information.


 HURRAY!!!!!!!!! 
All these awesome and healthy options! See, God knew we needed protein , but He also knows we dont all eat the same foods. So here is a long list to choose from. I love the fact that you can meet your protien needs with an egg, or a steak, or a bowl full of lentils : D

So egg whites, I am still going to eat you in the morning with my oatmeal, but I am now on a mission to try out all these other fabulous foods that are healthy, lean and packed with protien!

Bon Appetit !

No comments:

Post a Comment